I'm a 22-year-old director/animator/designer, and a recent graduate of the USC School of Cinematic Arts in Los Angeles.
I grew up in the small but lovely town of Moorhead, MN –– right across the river from Fargo, ND. There, I taught myself how to draw and animate around the age of 9, largely as a way to occupy my ever-expanding imagination (as well as escape from the Hoth-like winters).
When I got to high school, I got bit by the performing bug really hard, and spent a majority of my time acting in musicals and competitive speech. But rather than distract from my animation, the two disciplines strengthened each other in many ways: I was able to apply acting and character-building techniques I learned in the theatrical world and bring them into my animation; and the perfectionism and attention to detail that come from animating frame-by-frame for several years instilled in me a very strong work-ethic and artistic drive as an actor.
Both, combined with a growing interest in the works of Stanley Kubrick and David Fincher, made me realize that what I really wanted to do was direct. And I've been working towards that goal ever since.
Have a freelance film/design/illustration project you'd like to discuss? Or just wanna chat? Contact me anytime at devon(at)devonm.com and we can figure something out!
Awards / Honors
• Animation Educator's Forum Scholarship, ASIFA-Hollywood 2016
• John Locher Memorial Award, American Association of Editorial Cartoonists 2016
• Provost Undergraduate Research Fellowship, USC 2015
• Top-14 in Cinematic Arts, National YoungArts Foundation 2013
• Minnesota Scholar of Theatre Arts, 2013
• National Finalist (6th Place) in Dramatic Interpretation, NSDA National Speech Tournament 2012
• Best Son Award, Mom 2003
a few of my favorite movies...
• 2001: A Space Odyssey
• Apocalypse Now
• The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
• Dr. Strangelove
• it's such a beautiful day
• The Social Network
• There Will Be Blood